Sunday, January 23, 2011

OPI Black Shatter & Teenage Dream

Katy Perry and Serena Williams  teamed up with OPI in October 2010 to create a nail polish collection and it was just yesterday that I finally got to see the shades in person.

Left to right: Last Friday Night, Not Like the Movies, The One That Got Away, Teenage Dream and Black Shatter.

Left to right: Black Shatter + Last Friday Night over top, Not Like the Movies + Black Shatter, The One That Got Away + Black Shatter, Teenage Dream + Black Shatter.
(photo courtesy of fashionbombdaily.com)

I found the collection at Spasation (specifically the one inside Edmonton's Londonderry mall) selling them for $10 CDN per bottle and picked up Teenage Dream (the pink glitter one) and Black Shatter ("deep asphalt black with a shattered texture").


The quality is pretty good and I couldn't wait to get home to try it out. "Teenage Dream" is super glittery and would be super fun to wear to a party, although might be a little too "loud" to the office.

The inside of the black tag on "Black Shatter" says to "apply one coat of Black Shatter over any completely dry Katy shade for an irresistible "shattered" look. The polish must have some paint thinner or something that separates when painted over another polish. I initially painted Black Shatter over Teenage Dream but felt Teenage Dream lost a lot of the glitter when Black Shatter was painted over top. I then used American Apparel's matte purple Dynasty and got this effect.



Overall, I love both shades and I suspect Black Shatter will be a very popular "shade" to get a hold of. So if you find it in stores, pick it up asap! My only hope for future releases is that OPI possibility releases Black Shatter in other shades as well. Black can be harsh to carry off at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: I’m not a beauty professional by any means. This blog is simply a reflection of my own personal opinions and interests.